Kocoono Weighted Blanket for Fibromyalgia- How it can Help You
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is defined by the HSE in Ireland as a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues.
The Irish Times states that about one in 50 people in Ireland suffer from Fibromyalgia, and it's five times more common in women than in men, and the age of onset is usually between 35 and 50.
We wrote a blog about the difficulties that women face in each stage of their lives. We invite you to read it here and find some tips to combat them: Why do women sleep worse than men? What you can do about it!
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
The common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Sleep Difficulties due to the pain
- Pain in the jaw and face muscles
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Numbness or tingling in hands and feet
- Restless leg syndrome
- Mental health problems, including anxiety and depression
6 Ways a Kocoono Weighted Blanket Can Help with Fibromyalgia
1. Calms the Nervous System
We are not designed to have persistent pain, so our nervous system is overstimulated when we have it. When someone has persistent pain, it switches on the sympathetic nervous system, which disturbs sleep mood and causes anxiety.
The Kocoono Weighted Blankets can help calm your Nervous System by applying Deep Pressure Stimulation. They apply firm but gentle pressure to the body similar to a hug or massage, which:
- switches off your sympathetic nervous system (SNS), which controls “fight-or-flight” responses
- and stimulates your Parasympathetic Nervous System (PNS), which leads to a “rest and digest” response.
The activation of the PNS slows your heart rate, making you feel embraced comforted and, reduces cortisol levels associated with Stress, and is closely tied to being more sensitive to pain. The activation of the PNS helps to enhance serotonin and oxytocin levels making us feel happy and reducing our pain sensitivity.
Learn more about Deep Pressure Therapy in this blog.
2. Improves your Sleep & Reduces fatigue
Fatigue is one of the most challenging symptoms of Fibromyalgia, which often goes hand-in-hand with sleepless nights, which leave you exhausted to face your daily tasks. Kocoono Weighted Blankets can help you have restorative sleep. Kocoono Blankets not only help you sleep faster but also help you have a better night of quality sleep! Deep sleep is key for our bodies to heal, restore, and reduce pain sensitivity.
Kocoono Weighted blanket acts like a massage, stimulating pressure points in the body and relaxing the muscles. The integrated Shoulder Embrace in the LUXE version of Kocoono will make you feel cuddled and comforted, enhancing a deep sleep that will help you restore your body! You will drastically reduce restlessness and the need to move back and forth, which enables you to sleep longer without waking up.
3. Helps to Manage the Fibromyalgia Pain
Research conducted in UC San Diego found that weighted blankets reduced perceptions of chronic pain. Ninety-four participants with chronic pain used either a light or weighted blanket for one week. They demonstrated that widespread pressure from a weighted blanket can reduce the severity of chronic pain, offering an accessible, home-based tool for chronic pain.
The pain directly affects the quality of sleep of sufferers, and poor sleep worsens the symptoms, so here is where Kocoono Weighted Blankets can help! Kocoono Weighted Blankets can help reduce pain for a night of better sleep and give you a restorative sleep, which will help you manage the pain in a better way.
4. Reduces Stress
Stress is a common symptom when our body is exposed to persistent pain. At the same time stress increase the pain, which can lead to a dangerous cycle.
With the Kocoono weighted blanket, you will find that your body will naturally feel calmer as the gentle pressure cocoons your body. It is recommended to couple the use of Gravity Blankets with some stress relief techniques before we go to sleep. Here you can find 6 top relaxing techniques to fall asleep that will help you to reduce stress and feel calmer.
The cortisol levels are associated with Stress. Studies show that grounding techniques help reduce night-time cortisol levels and resynchronize cortisol hormone secretion more in alignment with the natural 24-hour circadian rhythm, helping us sleep better. Kocoono Blankets can be used as a grounding technique, helping to reduce your cortisol levels and to calm your body and mind.
5. Increases serotonin naturally
Serotonin has a major role in modulating pain perception. A study conducted by the University of Massachusetts has shown that people with Fibromyalgia have low serotonin levels. The Deep Touch Pressure Therapy applied by Kocoono Weighted blankets activates the parasympathetic nervous system, releasing serotonin and melatonin concentrations naturally while decreasing cortisol levels. In this way, people with Fibromyalgia can boost their serotonin levels using weighted blankets, reducing the sensitivity to pain and mitigating the symptoms.
By helping to fight anxiety and improve quality sleep, Kocoono™ Blankets can help reduce the symptoms of depression linked to low serotonin levels.
6. Helps with the sensitivity to hot and cold
One of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia is having temperature sensitivity or a worsening of their symptoms (such as muscle pain or fatigue) with temperature fluctuations. Many people with Fibromyalgia are susceptible to cold, while others may be sensitive to heat. With our Kocoono Weighted Blanket LUXE, you can enjoy all the benefits of deep pressure therapy without feeling extremely hot. The bottom side of the Kocoono Blankets is made of breathable cotton. They are filled with glass beads, no plastic, which helps regulate the temperature. They are excellent to keep your temperature balanced. We always recommend using them with your regular duvet as they are not designed for heat per se. If you feel cold, you can always use the minky side of your Kocoono over your skin, which is warm and fluffly!
Order Your Kocoono Weighted Blanket for Fibromyalgia
Chronic pain can impact negatively on your daily life. A Kocoono weighted blanket may help you manage your fibromyalgia symptoms by giving you restorative sleep and improving your overall wellbeing.
When buying a gravity blanket, look for one that weighs around 10 per cent of your body weight. It will be heavy enough to help with some of your symptoms but not so heavy that you are uncomfortable.
We have 3 different weights for our Kocoono Weighted Blankets:
- 5kg - Suitable for someone who weighs between 50 - 70 kg (8- 11 stone)
- 7kg- Suitable for someone who weighs between 70 - 90 kg (11- 13 stone)
- 9 kg- Suitable for someone who weighs over 90 kg over 13 stone)
Kocoono LUXE Vs Kocoono Basic
We have two versions of Kocoono Weighted Blankets: LUXE and BASIC. Both are designed in Ireland and ethically made in Europe. They are designed to last for years, like a good mattress. They are a life investment in your quality sleep! From our 2 versions, we strongly recommend the Kocoono Weighted Blanket LUXE:
Why is Kocoono LUXE your best option if you have Fibromyalgia?
- Our Kocoono LUXE is our customisable version. It is the most popular as it is slightly more versatile than the basic: the Kocoono™ Weighted Blanket LUXE has ten inner weighted removable bands, and you can remove some of them to adjust your needs. This is great if you don't like pressure in some sensitive areas where you usually suffer more pain.
- Some people find cold Therapy helpful to reduce the deep muscle pain of Fibromyalgia. With the Kocoono LUXE, you can apply cold Therapy by placing some weighted bands in the freezer.
- The Kocoono Weighted Blanket LUXE has an integrated shoulder embrace that allows the weighted element to come up around your shoulder area that helps to relieve the tension on the shoulder and neck area. This cocoons your body, helping you to sleep.
- Kocoono LUXE has a curved neck cut out that fits smoothly over the shoulders and moves with you.
- You will also feel the Kocoono LUXE more comfortable than the BASIC as we use silicone balls to plump up the weighted channels, so it feels cosy and more similar to a duvet. The basic one has a thin layer of wadding in addition to the weighted glass beads so the weight can feel somewhat more concentrated at times.
Do you have any questions?
Are you interested in buying a Kocoono Weighted Blanket to ease fibromyalgia symptoms and have any questions? We love to hear from you! Send us an email at email@example.com or use our contact form to get in touch.
Let us know how you manage your fibromyalgia pain in the comments below!
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Subscribe here for more tips and wellness blogs that can help your health and overall wellbeing!
Leave a comment